This post is only intended to show you that, with planning, it can be done. There are definitely more steps and effort to do this, but I honestly don't mind.
Now, on to the other end of the rug...
About a week ago one of the members of the Petitpoint group that I belong to posted a photo of a counting device that she had found. It was such an interesting idea that I decided to make my own. It is made up of either two or three needles that were secured on a long piece of thread and held together with some cute beads. I decided to make mine with 3 needles because I wanted the first needle to stay in the first line of squares on my gauze. In this way I could tell where I started counting.
To make it I used some number 28 tapestry needles then cut some floss double the finished length that I wished. I used 3 strands of each color and threaded them through each of the 3 needles until the needles were at the halfway point of the thread. Once I had all 3 needles threaded, I then folded the threads in half, tied them all together with a small knot and threaded them through some beads. Once I had the beads threaded, I secured them with another knot.
I use it to count 10 squares at a time and "leap-frog" the 2 needles across the gauze, first to determine the count of the gauze if I am unsure, and second to count across to see where the second corner of my rug will be. In the past I had to keep re-counting to make sure I had the right number of stitches so I think this will make my life easier. I can also use it to count the stitches I have done already or mark the correct number of stitches that I need to make before changing to another color in a row that I am stitching.
of un-picking it all over again, so I took a scary plunge and carefully cut off the top half of the left black border and added a patch of gauze. The patch overlapped the red section (underneath before the upper half of the red was stitched) along with about 1/4" of the black border and allowed me a clean slate to stitch it again without taking the risk of putting holes in the gauze if I un-picked again. I tack-stitched it into place and stitched the red part of the border in one and a half inch increments and the black border in the same increments afterwards. To make the transition of the black border seamless near the center, I un-picked about 1/4" of the black border, then re-stitched it to catch the patch in it as well. As I completed parts of the red border, I removed the tack stitches so that I wouldn't have to try and stitch over top of them.
This time, the black border went without difficulty and I was able to reach the upper corner. Finally!!
The patch that I put in is not visible now that I have stitched it in place with the red and, since it overlaps about 1/2 inch, it is good and strong. In this photo, it is only visible above the left corner, where you can still see the tack stitches. The black stitching across the middle of the red border are to hold the bottom edge of the patch in place so it wouldn't move as I stitched the red border. When I complete the rug and do the overcast stitch at the end, you won't see it at all, either from the front or the back.
Doing this patch saved me hours of un-picking and frustration as well as saving me from having to start the rug over again. I still seemed to make mistakes regularly along both sides of the border but was able to catch them very quickly and fix them before I got too far.
Once my two upper corners were in place, I was able to work the top red border fairly easily and, miracle of miracles, I didn't make a mistake across the top!!
I am hoping the rest of the rug goes smoothly now that I have completed the worst of the borders. Looking back, I have been wondering how I made so many mistakes when I have never done so to such an extent before. Part of it, I think, is that I am using 48 count gauze for the first time after getting used to 40 count. This can make it difficult to see the individual holes. Another part, I think, is that I need new glasses. Luckily, I have an optometrist visit coming up in 3 days so this should be fixed soon. The last part of the problem, I believe, is the fact that my Grandmother died just before I started this rug and I was emotionally and physically exhausted. Note to self: Don't do any complicated patterns when exhausted! I put it aside for a few weeks to work on some less demanding miniature projects and came back to it feeling much better and was able to problem solve and stitch it with much less difficulty.
I have learned a lot with the stitching of this rug so far and am now back to loving stitching it.
Today, I added a tutorial to my Tutorial section found Here
I have three tutorials there that deal with Mounting the gauze, adding a Tabby weave and fringe, and Blocking your finished project and wanted to bring your attention to their availability. These tutorials are available for free download for your personal use. Please do not copy, reprint, or sell these tutorials. If you can think of any other tutorials that you would like to see, please email me at email@example.com with your request.
My name is Yvette, and I will be writing this blog to tell you about the creative process that has gone into the creation of my Petitpoint patterns along with showing the stitching I have done of some of the rugs.
Thank you so much for visiting our site. We hope you come back soon!
We promise not to spam you with emails and will only send out the occasional email. We promise not to share your email address with anyone and it will only be used by Double the Fun Crafts for the purpose of promoting our products or letting you know of a sale.